Newton Perkins - A Brief History
Perkins is the largest niche office agency focussing specifically on the City
of London (and fringes).
feature in all of the recognised office agency rankings, ordinarily in the top
five amongst the multi-national companies, for both acquisitions and disposals.
In addition to
our market leading agency team, we have extremely active professional services
and property management departments, which are equally as highly regarded.
The Firm has
come a long way in recent years and we are fortunate enough to be continuing to
strengthen in all areas. However, whilst we are very much focussed on the
future, we feel it is also important to spare a thought for those who got us
here in the first place.
Newton Perkins has a rich heritage and is, as far as we are aware, the oldest single
office agency in the City of London.
It all began
over a century ago in 1916, when highly regarded City surveyor William George
Newton left Messrs St. Quintin Son & Stanley to form W.G. Newton, F.A.I.
Five years later,
George Kimberley Perkins joined Mr W.G Newton as an assistant. Ultimately,
these two property stalwarts were the foundation of the Newton Perkins brand.
January 1931, Mr W.G Newton died. G.K Perkins and Mrs A.L Newton subsequently
formed the partnership known as W.G Newton & Co., trading from offices at
44 Leadenhall Street, EC3. G.K Perkins became the sole partner the following
offices to Billiter House, Billiter Street, EC3 five years previously, the 10th/11th
May 1941 saw the Firm’s offices destroyed by enemy action, which prompted a
further move to 10 St Mary Axe. In 1943 the office was relocated up the road to
25 St Mary Axe, EC3.
A year after
the end of the war, and with the Country beginning to find its feet again, the
Company expanded with Francis William Forbes joining the partnership.
In 1961, a new
partnership between G.B Perkins, G.K Perkins and F.W Forbes was formed. In the
same year the company moved back to 44/46 Leadenhall Street, EC3, a site they
had occupied 30 years earlier.
In 1967, the
Partnership purchased 10 Northumberland Alley, EC3 and relocated to occupy the
whole building. For those in the know, this is the little yellow building to
the south of Fenchurch Street… it was in danger of being lost amongst all of
the new tower developments so they had to do something to make it stand out!!
The summer of
1969 was not only the time that Bryan Adams got his first real six-string but
also when Bryan Wallace Jennings joined the Partnership and F.W Forbes stepped
6 years later,
in 1975, Norman John Hamilton, James Thomas Workman and Charles Goodson Hoff
joined the partnership.
remains a consultant at Newton Perkins today, albeit we only have the pleasure
of his company for another month or so before he sails off into the sunset…
will be interviewing Charles separately for his career highlights before he
View All Articles